We can’t wait for winter’s cold to set in because that means warm knits, hot chocolate and our favourite, cheese toasties! We love grabbing a fresh loaf of Ciabatta bread at a local bakery, with lots of cheese and some tomatoes for our Friday lunch time toastie tradition. This recipe is a richer, more decadent version of our quick and easy lunch time version but, trust us, it’s worth it and all we can say is, come hungry!
- 2 slices Ciabatta bread (we stopped at Mano’s Bakery for this one)
- 125g Butter
- 2 slices Gouda cheese
- 2 slices Havarti cheese
- ½ cup Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Mayonnaise (we used Hellman’s)
- Salt & pepper
- Handful chives, chopped for garnish
- Butter both sides of the bread and spread the mayonnaise and mustard on one slice. Get all the cheese ready, next to the stove.
- Add some butter to a pan on medium heat – take care that it doesn’t get too hot or the bread will burn before the cheese melts.
- As soon as the pan is hot enough, place the bottom slice of bread in the pan and start layering the cheese. Place the top slice and press it down slightly with a spatula.
- Flip the toastie over quickly, taking care not to let the top slice slip off. Spread some butter on the top slice. Keep flipping over and adding butter until the cheese is nicely melted and the bread is crispy and golden.
- Place the toastie on a cutting board or plate and cut open, give the cheese a few seconds to start oozing out. Garnish with salt, pepper and chives and enjoy!