Being a serious sweet tooth, I love classic lemon meringue pie. I’ve tasted many versions of it, and after many baking attempts at home I’ve now perfected the recipe for the way I like my lemon meringue. It should be tangy enough to get your tongue in a twist, but just sweet enough to make you go back for more. And the most important part is the fluffy meringue on top – light and fluffy, pale golden brown, showing off in all directions with beautiful creamy twirls.
For the base and the filling, I follow the recipe from “Huisgenoot Top 500 Wenresepte”. Then I turn down the heat a bit and add extra egg whites with sugar, vanilla and lemon juice to create my favourite meringue topping.
This is really a delicious pie! Use a large knife dipped in recently boiled water to cut it – it makes all the difference.
Lemon Meringue Pie
Ingredients for base:
- 1 packet (200 g) Tennis biscuits
- 100 g butter, melted
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 can (385 g) condensed milk
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
Ingredients for the meringue topping:
- 4 egg whites
- 150 ml sugar
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 5 ml lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- In a food processor, process the Tennis biscuits to fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and mix well. Firmly press crumb mixture into a medium-size tart pan or loose bottomed tart tin, covering the base and sides evenly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk condensed milk while adding lemon juice a bit at a time. Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl, then add to condensed milk mixture and mix well. Pour mixture into tart pan, then bake for 10 minutes.
- While filling is baking, use a clean dry bowl to whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks (make sure your whisk is also clean and dry). Add sugar a little bit at a time, whisking continuously until the mixture is thick and glossy. Add vanilla and lemon juice and fold into meringue mixture.
- Remove tart pan from oven after baking for 10 minutes. Turn down heat to 150 C. Immediately top with meringue mixture, working carefully. Create beautiful swirls on top with a palette knife. Return to oven to 20-30 minutes, or until meringue is a pale golden brown colour. Remove from oven and cool completely, then slice and serve!
View Post Tags