I love baking, and this year I’m going to make some of my gifts rather than buy them. We see many friends and family members over the festive season, but there’s no way that we can buy every single one a gift. So I would rather make something pretty that everyone, even children, can enjoy. I also agree with Nigella Lawson who reckons that sometimes it’s easier and less stressful to whip up something in your kitchen, than to face the shopping malls.
I just love these pretty jam cookies made by Mari Hanekom from Delicately Different. I think cookies are the perfect gift, because everyone loves them! She was kind enough to share the recipe with us (see below). In the spirit of Christmas I will be cutting out star and Christmas tree shapes rather than hearts. You could also cut out letters, and spell out a special message. Remember that presentation is everything, so decorate it with a beautiful ribbon and a gift tag. The glass jars are from Consol.
Images Christine Meintjes
Styling Flowers in The Foyer
Heart Shaped Jam Cookies
- 125 g Butter
- 250 ml Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 625 ml Flour
- 12.5 ml Baking Powder
- 1 ml Salt
- ± 125 ml strawberry, raspberry or cherry jam, strained.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light, fluffy and pale.
2. Add eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well until a dough forms. Leave the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
3. Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut out 25 – 30 rounds using a round cookie cutter. Cut heart shapes out of the centre of half of the rounds. Place them all on a lined baking tray.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes, leave to cool.
5. When the cookies are done, remove the tray from oven and allow to cool. To assemble, sandwich the whole rounds and the heart cut-out rounds together with strawberry jam.
5. Leave for a while in order for the jam to set. Dust with icing sugar.
View Post Tags